The timing for #HAPPO couldn’t be better for me. I’m currently in the midst of a big transition in career focus, from corporate to agency PR, and am making the move from Ottawa back to Toronto. With the move I am, of course, actively seeking work. Not just any work, though.
There are great opportunities in Ottawa, and I could certainly stay here and make a good living. However, my sights are set on Toronto for a special reason – big PR agency work. And the further I make it down the road of pursuit, the more I feel like I’m following destiny.
I’ve known since very early in my career that an agency atmosphere is where I would best shine. However, I lacked the confidence that I felt was required for agency work. I have since had a couple of years to hone my skills and build up my confidence, and I’m feeling more than ready.
So, what traits make me a good fit for PR agency?
- With a team is how I achieve my best work. Nothing is better than collaboration – it’s what communication is all about. With a team beside me, magical things can happen.
- Challenge brings out the best in me, and I truly enjoy it. In fact, I strive for it. Constant challenge is a MUST.
- Creativity is my true love. Being creative is a requirement in any agency, and just the thought of that makes me smile. Going to work to get my creative juices flowing? I’m there! The steady pay cheque is just a bonus.
- Just call me Mr. Positive. My focus is, and always will be, to see the positive side of everything. Through positive thinking I have accomplished things I never thought possible.
- Energy to make the Energizer Bunny tire out. My outgoing personality and energy have a way of rubbing off on others. Nothing is accomplished without energy!
- I carry a work ethic like that of my elders. From delivering newspapers to framing houses, I have done it all. Over the years, through my different experiences, and by following those that I look up to, I have developed a work ethic that I can be proud of. This ethic shows in everything that I do as a practitioner, and will serve me well in the agency environment.
What practical skills can I offer?
Since plunging into the wonderful world of public relations with enrollment into the Algonquin College PR Program, I have been exposed to some great experiences. I spent over a year as a promotions assistant with The Jewel 98.5 FM radio station, completed an internship with Mitel Networks, and managed all events and marketing communications for ServiceMaster of Ottawa for nearly two years. I ‘ve been able to dabble in a few different types of communications, and different work atmospheres, which has helped round me as a communicator.
Through these experiences I have also developed a number of tangible PR assets. A list of those assets can be seen here.
More important than the skills that I have already developed are the skills that I will form and continue to build as I move further into my career. Eagerly soaking up every bit of knowledge I can get my hands on, I am always learning and growing. I make it a point to learn something new, every day, which has been helpful in building my practical portfolio.
How about some proof?
Anyone can claim to be able to do this, that, and the other thing, but without anything to show for it, it means squat. That’s why I have pulled together a few samples of my work to share with you. I won’t overload you with piles and piles of stuff to sift through. Just a few good examples of what I can do.
Check out some of these samples here.
Want to know more?
If I have managed to pique your interest and you want to know more about me, I will gladly answer any questions you may have. I would also love an opportunity to meet with you and further discuss how we can benefit from a relationship with each other.
You may also want to check out a printable, download-able version of my hard copy resume. If so, that can be found here.
I would love to hear from you:
If I sound like the kind of person that will make the perfect fit for, and be of benefit to, your agency and its clients, please get in touch today. I look forward to hearing from you.
As you can tell, I put a lot of time and practice in to my dance, and I would love to perform it, live, just for you. All you have to do is invite me to meet with you, and sit back and enjoy the show. Alternatively, you could meet with me in an effort to convince me to never dance this way again. Either way, if it means meeting with you, I’m there.
– – – – – – –
Know of someone who’s needs align with my traits? Send them a link to this post 🙂
Also, please share this post on Twitter and be sure to include the #HAPPO hashtag. Thank you in advance for your help!
– – – – – – –
Thanks for reading what I have to say today. Signing off, this is Adam Weitner.